Thursday, January 5, 2012

Starry Eyed blocks

I don't know what I saw first - the fabric or the pattern. So, I'll start with the fabric.

I saw the Countdown to Christmas line by Sweetwater at Rosie's Calico Cupboard in San Diego. I loved the fabric! It's a Moda line so you know the quality is great. So, I picked up a couple of yards of a couple of the prints. I did this a couple of times until I had 9 different prints - all of them red, green, or black backgrounds.

I saw the Starry Eyed quilt pattern online at Moda Bake Shop. It was made with the Countdown to Christmas fabric. But more than that, it had wonky stars! I've wanted to make wonky stars for several years. I just never pursued a pattern for them or attempted to figure out how to do them on my own. Well, Starry Eyed has the easiest way to make the wonky stars which are centered in every other block.

In keeping with my resolution, I decided to see if I can make two smaller quilts.... One of them to keep, and one to sell/gift. I've had a little bit of a problem with my 1/4 seem - not sure if it's my current foot or trying to eyeball it while the foot was on another machine. Anyway, Here's the blocks...



and here's the layout of the quilts (both)



I did have a little problem getting the points correct. If you notice, one quilt has the points in one "direction" and the other quilt has the points in the opposite direction. I think they'll both be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment