Monday, August 26, 2013

One More Baby Quilt for September

I have a coworker who became a grandma a couple of years ago. Her granddaughter is so cute! I made her a quilt for the baby shower we had at work. I've been feeling guilty as she's expecting a grandson at the beginning of September - yes Labor Day weekend to be exact.

Anyway, I've been feeling guilty and uninspired and hadn't made a quilt. When I was in MN they were having their quilt shop hop. We were in northern MN and the only shop in the area, Mother's Originals Quilt Shop in Pequot Lakes, participated in the shop hop. I was at the shop afterwards by a day. The lady who owns/runs the shop puts together the cutest kits - I bought 4 table runner patterns back in 2010 (still need to quilt and bind those) - and I asked her if she had any kits. Since the run had just ended, pickings were slim but there was one kit for a baby quilt. The kits are typically made around a Pieced Tree Pattern (you know, the cute little black and white laminated  patterns that are kinda cute/simple/easy). The shop owner has the best eye for putting together kits and this one was no exception. How could I not buy it? Here's the top:
The pattern is TINY75 "Doing the Twist". I mixed up the blue and gray fabrics in the border and didn't have enough to be able to correct the mistake. I think I'm the only one to know how it really should be... All of the left over fabric is going for the backing. The kit came with all fabrics for the top and binding - but I used the binding fabric for the back as I like to use the satin blanket binding for binding baby quilts... I'm dropping this one off at the LAQ tomorrow and should be done pretty quickly as I had some other quilts there that can slide in getting finished. Should be a fun quilt when completed.

This one was fun too as I started and finished piecing the top on Saturday. The backing was done that day too...so it was a quilt in a day (HAHAHA). The quilt is about 41 inches square. I do love these little Pieced Tree patterns. I bought a handful of them while in MN...you know, to add to my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment