Sunday, January 10, 2016

2016 Beginnings

Last year, I made an effort to get all of my UFOs complete. And by UFOs, I mean completed tops into completed quilts. I was able to complete this goal - but I missed doing so in 2015 by a day.


Also late last year, I made a list of project ideas. Some were works in process but not quite a top. Some were ideas of quilts I had seen. Some were patterns I bought that I'd like to make. Here's my original list:
It's getting a little dog-eared as I add to it or just look at it. I did complete some of these projects - those that have an "X" next to them! My motivation has been lacking...I'm still trying to get my living room back in order after Christmas (the tree goes in this room so everything gets put away or shoved away to make room). Well, this weekend I decided enough was enough - I need to just pick a project and start. I decided to start on a project from V & Co that she calls "Ombre Dutchman". When I wrote my list, I didn't have the pattern in front of me, so it's called "V & Co flying geese (kitted)". I decided to start with this as I bought a shrink wrapped "kit" of five 1/2 yard cut ombre fabrics. I had also set aside some white on white fabric. Yesterday, I started pressing and cutting - but hadn't washed the ombre fabrics so I did that last night. This morning I started cutting the ombres.


Before I get to that, today I was web surfing while watching football. A Quilting Life is doing a "Quilt Your Stash" for 2016. I've been working from my stash for a couple of years... In reading her web post, she talked about All People Quilt 's 2016 UFO challenge. Others have done this...you make a list of 12 projects. Every month they pick a number and you work on the corresponding project. They have a pretty form here:allpeoplequilt 2016 UFO Challenge form. I printed it out and started adding my list to it - only I need 2 forms! I did cheat as I knew the number for the month (2) and I knew which project I was going to work (Ombre Dutchman). Other than that, I added the list in order (well, except I missed the first item on the list...which became #10 on the 2nd list). Anyway, here's my new list to work from:
Since I had two lists, I'm going to try and work two projects. I'm starting the Ombre Dutchman. The mini red & white may be a finished top - I have to pull it out and determine if I like the size or not...It's a good, easy project, so I'm happy with what I'll be working on this month - especially 10 days in. Now onto the Ombre Dutchman...

I did something a little differently in cutting squares and I think it worked really well. I noticed that the selvedges were pretty substantial on these fabrics. In folding them, I folded the fabric short of the selvedge. This way, when I cut - and I cut a little backwards - I'm maximizing the fabric and needed one less strip... Here's some photos of what I'm talking about... I folded back one corner so you could see the selvedge - fabric is dark blue on that edge and the selvedge is a light blue:
 Here's the same fabric, just with the fold in place (the color matches on this one):
Usually, the fold and the end of the selvedge would meet. Here I am cutting with my slotted ruler (LOVE this ruler!). I'm making 4 inch strips and I can only make two since I broke off the 12 inch edge of my ruler (I've been known to use that edge and cut, but decided not to here...). I've cut two strips:
 Here's my two 4 inch strips. I lifted my ruler and rotated my mat so that the selvedge edge is on the right and the fold is on the left. I LOVE these rotating mats too!
 Now I'm going to line up my slotted ruler with the 8 slot as close to the fold on the right as I can...
 I know, hard to see...so here's my attempt at a close up. The lighting today is really bad... The slot with the 8 is just barely to the left of the fold from above:
 After cutting at the 8, 4, and 0 lines, my waste is on the right, my cut squares are in the middle, and the left is the folded ends left over - that are over 2 inches so I can cut squares again...
 Here's the folded fabric unfolded...
 After cutting the squares above, this is the total waste from the two strips:
I was able to get 10 cut squares from this strip...and only had to use 3 strips instead of 4 for the quantity I need. With fabric being so expensive, it's nice to minimize the waste.
I cut four of my five fabrics this way. I've got my white squares cut and I'm ready to start marking to make 1/2 square triangle blocks.


The pattern is a free one and can be found here:
Ombre Dutchman


I'm using a similar color palette - blue, green, lime green, and gray...

No comments:

Post a Comment