Friday, June 26, 2015

Sizzlin' 60s Table Runner

Seems like it takes me a month between posts...and since I did the last post on all of the Pieced Tree table runner kits I completed, I thought I'd do one more post about one more table runner...

I bought the fabric kit at a different quilt shop in Pine River, MN (I think it was in a shop in PR that has since closed). I saw the fabrics and the sample and bought the kit. I didn't read the sign which stated the kit did not include the pattern...but I didn't realize that until I was showing the kit to my cousin and realized I didn't have the pattern! At that point, my DD spoke up and said "yeah, it wasn't included, you had to buy the book"...so, darn, we had to go back to the quilt shop!

There's more to the story, but first, here's a picture of the runner:
The pattern comes from an Anka's Treasure's book called "Sizzlin' 60s". All of the fabrics were part of the MN quilt shop hop that year. They are all winter themes. The kit came with all of the fabric for the top, backing and binding. It was hard to not break up that fabric as some of it I wanted to use for other quilts...but I couldn't bring myself to break up the kit. I'm so glad, as the runner looks great!

 The backing is this great paisley print:
Here's a closer view so that you can see I just outlined around the hexies, on both edges of the "border" strips. Then, I quilted straight lines through the background and made them look like pie pieces...You can see the two different "blocks" here...
Here's a little closer view of the blocks (and one with that same paisley print!):
The book Sizzlin 60s by Ankas Treasures is by Heather Mulder Peterson. Great book, great technique to do these hexies with no set in piecing...all straight lines! You make strip sets, cut those into triangles, piece half hexies and sew those together in rows...and then sew the rows together. If you want to make hexies, I recommend this book. She makes things super easy! I've used the book and made a few other quilts. I've even bought a couple of her books and made other quilts...and finished all of them before this first runner. Ironic, huh? She's got a new book and ruler out where the pieced triangle has some different angles of make some really interesting patterns. It's on my list of things I want - the ruler and the book.


No comments:

Post a Comment