Friday, June 26, 2015

Pieced Tree Table Runners

A few years ago, I bought some table runner kits from a quilt shop in Jensen, MN (near Pine River). All of the kits were made with a Pieced Tree pattern (they are laminated little cards, with punch holes so you can keep them on a ring) and typically had 2 fabrics for the top and contained most everything (some had backings and some didn't). The shop had samples made of the kits and the shop owner even let me take pictures of them.

The next New Years eve, I pieced quite a few of them as they were really quick to piece (great instructions/patterns) and the fabric selections were so great (and generous in amount). It had been awhile, so I'm glad that I had the photos of the shop samples!

After that, I paired them with backings (the ones that didn't some with one), cut the bindings, and put them all into a clear plastic bag. They sat there, and sat there...and sat there.

I didn't want to ruin them by quilting them myself as I'm not that good in that part of the process...but I also didn't want to take them to a LAQ. I've moved them a couple of times while cleaning for different occasions... I've added things to the bags and then taken those out and had them quilted and finished...and still those table runners sat. I even added more runner of different patterns and sizes...and they all sat.

Last year, one of my quilting goals was to do more machine quilting myself. I've done lots of mug rugs and placemats. This year, I'd even done a couple of small quilts. Well, this year, I finally shamed myself info finishing those runners. In alphabetical order by pattern name, here they are:

This is called "Churnover":
 Love the fabric combo! Here's a closer  view:
Churn dash blocks with just two fabrics. Super cute, huh? I did straight lines 1/4" inside and outside of the blocks. The back looks really cool too:
 OK, bad lighting...this is really the same dark brown fabric as the top!
Great pattern, huh?

Next up is "In The Middle" - love, love, love the fabric choices on this one!
 I did straight lines about 1/4" to 1/2" apart and stopped when it got too hard. Closer detail shot showing off the back:
 Here's an even closer shot of the front:
It's funny how many of my table runner kits have either brown or green (or both) colors in the fabrics!

Next pattern, "Nifty Nines". This one has Christmas prints on the fabrics and some gold sparkles:
 I again did just some straight lines inside and outside the blocks and carried those lines through the setting triangles. Here's a close up of one of the 9-patches:
 Again, this made a neat pattern on the back:
I'm not really sure which order I really quilted these in, but I did get more and more confident as I went through them!

Next up, "Something Fishy". This one, I bought with my DH in mind...
 FISH! Going in either direction! CUTE!
 Love, love, love the fabrics! I think I did this one first. I bought a variegated green thread (at WalMart, Coats & Clark brand) and I used a wavy line stitch on my machine. I made it as wide and high as I could... I love the way it looks! Here's a close up of a fish:
 Here's the back:
This fabric is one I bought for my very first quilt. I had bought it as a background to use in my sampler quilt we made in a beginning quilting class. I ended up having to buy a bolt of it as it was a Christmas fabric, a few years old, and I couldn't find it anywhere.I ended up needing 4 or more yards to be able to make the quilt big enough for our queen sized bed and since I bought a bolt, the backing is made of the same fabric. Since then, and since a bolt is 15 yards, I've used this fabric a lot - I think this is the last big piece of it - the rest I cut into 2.5" squares so I may have a little more...

And there you go - those are all Pieced Tree patterns. The little pattern cards are addictive - and cheap...and many people collect them. If you find a shop that has them - and makes kits, I recommend the kits - especially if they have such great fabric selections as I had!!

No comments:

Post a Comment