Sunday, May 31, 2015

Costa Maya, King Size Quilt

This quilt is made from a pattern called Costa Maya, Snow Day Designs, published by QuiltWoman.com. My cousin Doug picked out the pattern and the color palette nearly 2 years ago. Good thing he's patient! It took me the first year to find fabrics that reflected the palette he wanted and worked with the pattern. Here's the top of Costa Maya.


The quilting is a loop and swirl type of pattern. I forget the thread color... I love the quilting on this one!

The back was made with leftovers - some blocks, some fabrics, some tiny scraps. I tried a couple of different techniques for the "trees". Then, I just mashed it all together in big sections until I had a back that fit. I think the back took way longer to piece than the front!


(it's really upside down in my opinion...I didn't want to tell my helpers tho!)

The pattern finishes at 72 x 72. The quilt measures 95 x 106 (a  little bit bigger as I fold things in 1/2 to measure). It's an inch wider than the previous quilt I made him and hopefully will fit his huge kind size bed.

This quilt was finished in May 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment